Southeastern Grocers Launches New Format
Southeastern Grocers (SEG) capitalizes on record alcoholic beverage sales in new store format.
The company will open a new concept of standalone liquor store called WDs Wine, Beer & Liquor on September 1 to provide customers with a new one-stop destination for fine wines, craft beers and fine spirits. The store is located at 4472 Hendricks Ave. in the Miramar Center shopping mall in the Miramar community of Jacksonville, Florida.
According to the company, the new WDs Wine, Beer & Liquor store will provide customers with convenience and a wide variety of products to entertain and eat at home, including:
- Over 1,700 fine red, white and sparkling wines, including 700 imported grape varieties and a blend of luxury and rare offerings.
- Blast chiller to chill any bottle of champagne or wine in under two minutes.
- Wine tasting station with free samples of 10 varieties to taste and discover.
- Massive Beer Cave and over 500 beer varieties, including 73 Florida beers and 22 First Coast area beers (Intuition Ale Works, Veterans United Craft Brewery, Bold City, Ruby Beach Brewing Co. and Mocamma Beer Co.).
- Over 1,400 selections of spirits, including bourbon, scotch, tequila, rum, vodka, cognac and rare and popular finds.
- Offerings from local distillers including Citrus Distillers, Burlock and Barrel, City Gate Spirits, Two Titmice Vodka, Noble Coyote Mezcal, Gray Matter Distilling, and Marlin & Barrel Distillery.
- Mixology section with a full range of mixers and a variety of utensils to create the perfect cocktail.
- Fresh produce and supplies to create the perfect charcuterie board, including selections of fresh meats, 70 specialty cheeses and sides, over 45 dips and spreads, a variety of crisps, cracker and toast offerings, fresh seasonal produce, confectionery and desserts to suit any occasion.
- Cigar humidor with 40 premium cigar selections from Nicaragua, Dominican Republic and Honduras, including the best brands tailored to the tastes and preferences of the local community.
- Knowledgeable associates and helpful signage for picking the right wine or “saluting” the perfect beer with recommendations on pairings and store favorites.
- Comfortable seating area for tastings and group events.
- Convenient same day delivery for the Miramar community.
The new SEG format comes as alcohol sales jumped in 2020 to their highest level in 18 years and rose 3.8% this summer, according to the International Record for Wines and Spirits.
Almost 90% of all beer, wine and liquor purchases last year were made in-store, despite an increase door-to-door deliveries and in-store pickups during the pandemic.
More than half (53%) of survey respondents say they enjoy looking for drinks in person and 42% say they enjoy physically picking up products to read labels and learn more about items. In addition to being able to see their options firsthand, people appreciate the brick and mortar experience: 37% say they like the general atmosphere in a store and 35% note that they lack the power to talk about. their choices to store associates if they parade online.
Although the coronavirus epidemic has changed many shopping behaviors, consumers still prefer to buy adult drinks in retail stores. During the pandemic, 40% of those polled said they bought alcohol online, but that number has now dropped to 35% and is trending towards the 30% level before the pandemic, ChaseDesign research shows.
Those who buy beer, wine, and spirits online usually order for home delivery. If people opt for pickup, only 13% say they buy other things when they go to the store to pick up their drinks.
“The results of our buyer survey certainly support the need to have both online and in-store as part of an overall adult beverage solution. But comprehensive omnichannel strategies need to recognize shoppers’ preference for the store and be aware of the tradeoffs that shopping online means, ”said Joe Lampertius, president of ChaseDesign.
He predicts that the future of beer, wine and spirits shopping is likely to unfold in a retail environment enhanced by digital technologies that enhance the shopping experience.
A grand opening celebration for the new SEG format will take place on September 1 at 9 a.m. and will include an opening ceremony, champagne pop, entertainment, tastings and customer gifts. Giveaways will include product offerings and fully wrapped charcuterie boards with specialty cheeses and other side dishes (while supplies last).
Additionally, the new WDs will host several community social distancing celebrations after the grand opening through September 4, with ongoing entertainment, tastings and giveaways for the community.
WDs Wine, Beer & Liquor will be open Sunday to Thursday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Friday to Saturday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Recently, SEG has praised its house brand wines. Fresco y Más parent company Harveys Supermarket and Winn-Dixie have announced that their private label and market-exclusive wines have won multiple awards at the fourth edition United States Wine Review Competition.
The company’s wines have been the favorites of wine critics this year, winning three “Best in Show” awards, eight gold medals, 29 silver medals and four bronze medals. SEG was not the only company to win awards for house brand wines. Lidl has won over 40 medals in total at the same competition.
Based in Jacksonville, Florida Southeast grocery stores is one of the largest conventional supermarket companies in the United States, with grocery stores, liquor stores, and in-store drugstores serving communities in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina. The company is # 43 on the PG 100, PG’s 2021 list of the best food and consumables retailers in North America.