Photos edited to make Rihanna look pregnant
The claim: photos show Rhianna is pregnant
On September 13, singer and fashion mogul Rihanna attended the Met Gala in an oversized black ensemble. Some saw the star’s choice of outfit as proof of unconfirmed and recurring pregnancy rumors.
Online, social media users are resurrecting a series of forged photos to support pregnancy rumors. The old photos show the star in a tight black dress, a black handbag and heels. Her figure in the tight dress makes it look like she is pregnant.
A Facebook post from September 14 with the images congratulated the singer. He has collected over 43,000 shares as of September 20.
However, a reverse image search shows that the photos were taken several years ago and edited to appear as if the star expected.
Checking the facts: False claim that Jason Derulo fell down the stairs at the Met Gala
The Facebook user did not respond to USA TODAY’s request for comment.
The photos are old and altered
Almost identical images of Rihanna in this same outfit were posted on various celebrities and fashion blogs with the description they were taken away from Giorgio Baldi in April 2014. Giorgio Baldi is an upscale Italian restaurant in Los Angeles that the star is known to frequent.
Checking the facts:Photo of Rachel Levine, head of HHS in swimsuit, is modified
Several other unmodified images of the star which were taken from different angles show that she was not visibly pregnant. A reverse image search shows that modified versions of these images have been circulating online since 2019.
Recent photos including some of the star’s Met Gala afterparty, shows that she does not appear to be pregnant.
As of September 20, neither Rihanna nor her boyfriend, rapper A $ AP Rocky, had publicly announced that they were expecting a child.
In a May 2020 interview with British Vogue, Rihanna discussed the intention to have children someday. There is no evidence that she has had any children yet.
Checking the facts: COVID-19 vaccine does not cause side effects in Nicki Minaj’s tweet
Rihanna’s publicist did not respond to USA TODAY’s request for comment.
Our rating: Altered
Based on our research, we note ALTERED several photos that appear to show Rhianna is pregnant. According to several fashion blogs, the photos were taken in April 2014 while the star was visiting a restaurant in Los Angeles. Unaltered footage from the same night shows Rihanna with no obvious signs of pregnancy. The star has not recently announced a pregnancy.
Our sources of fact-checking:
- UNITED STATES TODAY, September 13, The 10 Best Dressed at the Met Gala: Rihanna is a Mood; Billie Eilish, Megan Fox Nail American Theme
- Distractify, September 13 Another year, another Rihanna pregnancy rumor: will she have a baby?
- Red Carpet Fashion Awards, April 13, 2014, Rihanna In CÃ©line – Restaurant Giorgio Baldi
- Got Celeb, April 13, 2014, Rihanna at Giorgio Baldi Restaurant in Santa Monica
- Star Style, April 11, 2014, Rihanna Giorgio Baldi April 11, 2014
- Fashion Bomb Daily, April 12, 2014, Rihanna goes to dinner at Giorgio Baldi’s
- The New York Times, May 28 How a cozy neighborhood restaurant became a celebrity hideout
- CelebMafia, April 13, 2014, Rihanna – Leggy in Mini Dress, at Giorgio Baldi restaurant in Santa Monica – April 2014
- TinEye Reverse Image Search, accessed September 20
- InStyle, September 14 Rihanna wore a completely see-through skirt to her Met Gala after party
- USA TODAY, March 30, 2020, Rihanna wants “three or four” children with or without a partner, talks about her own childhood
Thank you for supporting our journalism. You can Subscribe to our print edition, ad-free app or e-newspaper replica here.
Our fact-checking work is supported in part by a grant from Facebook.